Monday, March 26, 2012

Horrible English

I just read Encomium de Helen by Gorgias. I really wanna express that it is horrible!!!
I read it loudly for the first time, which I completely couldn't get the meaning, but just had the feeling of what it's saying. And then I read sentence by sentence, checked the dictionary, analyzed the sentence structure, trying to understand it one by one. For the third time, I read it again to make the logical connection between each sentence, still I think I just understand 80% of the article. 
I have long time no this kind of feeling of reading an English article. Last time it was my preparation for the reading part in SAT. Every time reading this kind of article, the process is kind of toil, however, after really understand it, what left is a sense of achievement. 
Anyway I'm proud of myself that I didn't give up. ╮( ̄▽ ̄")╭

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you did not give up either! Remember, it is a translation from Greek to English, so much of the style and beauty of the original text is lost. It's not the easiest text to read, so yes, be proud you stuck with it!

    ReplyDelete